FRIED MAC AND CHEESE BALLS
Fried Mac and Cheese Balls, Fried Mac and Cheese Bites… call them what you'll, due to the fact they are both scrumptious as a celebration appetizer!
I don’t recognise approximately you, but i like birthday celebration appetizers. It doesn’t be counted what the occasion is, I’m always up for chew-sized party food— and if I’m absolutely honest, the unhealthier, the better! events and celebrations aren't any time to be counted energy!
Considered one of my preferred appetizer recipes is for Fried Macaroni & Cheese Balls — yes, you heard me. Fried Mac and Cheese … does it get any higher than that!?
These little balls of cheesy goodness take the time to put together, however the payoff is completely really worth it! you can even use leftover macaroni and cheese to make these tasty morsels!
- 1 lb macaroni
- 16 oz sharp cheddar cheese block or 16oz shredded
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Boil macaroni until tender, drain and set aside. Shred cheese and set aside.
- In a large pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and mix until light brown color (make a roux).
- Add 1 cup milk and whisk until thick.
- Add cheese one handful at a time. Mix until cheese is melted and smooth.
- Add cooked macaroni to pan and mix until well coated. Add salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a container and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or until cold.
- Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper.
- Form cold macaroni and cheese into 1" balls and place on prepared pan. Place in freezer for at least 1 hour (overnight works well).
- Beat eggs and add 1/4 cup milk in a bowl to make an egg wash.
- Dip balls into egg wash then roll into bread crumbs, coating completely.
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 320 degrees, or fill skillet 1/2-3/4" deep and heat over medium high to 320 degrees.
- Fry 3-4 minutes, until golden, and drain. Serve immediately.