Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake
This morning I woke up wanting a easy, summery, cake-like-however-no longer-dessert-like breakfast treat.
One in every of Ben’s pals had crashed here final night, and that i idea it only suitable to treat him to a proper breakfast. In different phrases, i was craving sugar and carbs.
The fact is I’ve been craving sugar and carbs and a cake like this for months. but severely, who doesn’t want a good, seasonal, berry cake recipe of their morning-deal with repertoire?
No person. and i assume I’ve determined the recipe that suits the invoice. Oh child Boy. baby Boy is my younger brother, my parents’ favorite toddler, and one of the maximum enjoyable humans to prepare dinner for. If it turned into toddler Boy’s favorite cake, it'd soon be mine, too. This cake is delectable! I suppose you’ll like it, too.
- ½ cup (8 tablespoons | 4 oz | 113 g ) unsalted butter, room temperature
- zest from 1 large lemon
- 1 cup (214 g) sugar (set aside 1 tablespoon for sprinkling)
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups (256 g) all-purpose flour (set aside 1/4 cup of this to toss with the blueberries)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt (I like 1.25 tsp)
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, picked over
- ½ cup buttermilk, see FAQs below
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. the usage of a stand mixer or d1e51e9fa45a0b179488752ec4930123 mixer, cream the butter with the lemon zest and the 1 cup minus 1 tablespoon of sugar till light and fluffy.
- Upload the egg and vanilla and beat until mixed. meanwhile, toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of flour, then whisk together the final flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add half of the flour aggregate to the batter, and stir with spatula to incorporate. upload all of the buttermilk. Stir. add ultimate flour, and stir till flour is absorbed. Fold in the blueberries. (go away excess flour from the blueberry bowl behind.)
- Grease an 8- or nine-inch rectangular baking pan (or something similar—I choose this eight-inch pan due to the fact I just like the thicker portions) with butter or coat with non-stick spray. when you have parchment paper accessible, line the pan with parchment on pinnacle of the butter. unfold the batter into the pan. Sprinkle the batter with the last tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 35 to forty five minutes — a nine-inch pan can be done in towards 35 mins; an 8-inch pan usually desires forty to 45 mins. test with a toothpick for doneness. If essential, go back pan to oven for a couple of greater mins. (word: Baking for as long as 10 minutes extra might be vital, in particular in case you’re using a smaller pan including an eight×8-inch.) let cool at least 15 mins before serving.